1541 - Hernando de Soto was the first European known to have visited the
territory which is now the state of Arkansas.
1673 - Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet explored the territory as
far south as the Arkansas River.
1682 - Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle visited the country of the Arkansea,
so called by the Indians of the territory. While on the Arkansas
River one of la Salle's lieutenants, Henri de Tonty, asked for and
was granted a seigneury of land.
1636 - De Tonty established a trading post, staffed with six men, on the
north side of the Arkansas River. The land was claimed for "God
and the King of France." A cabin and a large cross were erected. It
was named "Poste de Arkansea."
1637 - Arkansas Post was visited by Joutel, historian of la Salle.
1689 - A site was granted to Father Claude Deblon, a Jesuit priest, for
a chapel and mission at the Post.
1700 - At about this date the original Poste de Arkansea was abandoned.
1721 - The John Law colony was settled a few miles downriver from present-
day Arkansas Post on the north bank of the Arkansas River. It was
abandoned later the same year when its financial backing, the
"Mississippi Bubble," collapsed.
1722 - By order of the Regent of France, authority was given for a settlement
at the Poste de Arkansas and an officer named M. De La Boulaye was
sent to command the garrison.
1743 - M. Delino was in command of the garrison at Arkansas Post. The Post
consisted of four or five houses built in palisades with a cabin
used as a storehouse.
1749 - One hundred and fifty Chickasaws, led by Payah Matahah, raided the
Post. Six Frenchmen were killed and the Indians withdrew when their
leader was gravely wounded.
1752 - Lieutenant de la Houssay constructed the first Poste de Arkansas on
the edge of the Grand Prairie, the site of the present Memorial.