Henry Clay Chenault, M.D. (b.1900-d.1970) was hired as Dean of the University of Arkansas School of Medicine (now UAMS) in 1946. Over the following year, he reorganized the administrative structure of the Little Rock campus. The U of A Board of Trustees approved the changes which became effective on July 1, 1947. The medical school and the hospital/clinics became two separate administrative units. Each unit had an administrator who reported to Dr. Chenault as the Vice President of Medical Education and Hospitals. The official title of Vice President was intended to promote closer association of the medical school with the administrative structure on the U of A Fayetteville campus. A native of England, Arkansas, Dr. Chenault attended Hendrix College and received his medical degree from the U of A School of Medicine in 1927. He interned at the Little Rock City Hospital and specialized in the practice of urology at the Wade Clinic in Hot Springs. Dr. Chenault resigned as Vice President of the medical school in September 1949 but continued to serve in an advisory capacity until October 1950. After leaving the medical school, he returned to the Wade Clinic where he practiced until his death on April 26, 1970.