Hayden Coler Nicholson, M.D. (b.1904) served as the chief administrator and Dean of the University of Arkansas School of Medicine (now UAMS) in Little Rock from October 1, 1950 to May 1955. He obtained the additional title of Provost of Medical Affairs in March 1954 when that position was officially created by the U of A Board of Trustees. An amiable and talented administrator, Dr. Nicholson worked with U of A President Lewis W. Jones and Gov. Sid McMath to obtain additional funds from the General Assembly to complete construction of the University Hospital and an educational building at a new location on 4301 West Markham in Little Rock. He was the first Dean to focus on the health needs of rural areas in Arkansas, emphasizing careers in general practice and reinvigorating the rural preceptorship program. He also expanded opportunities for internships/residencies in the state and gave special priority for admission to any student who agreed to practice in a rural area.