F. Douglas Lawrason, M.D. (b.1919) served concurrently as acting Dean and Provost of Medical Affairs for the University of Arkansas School of Medicine (now UAMS) from August 1955 until November 1960. During his tenure, campus personnel and students moved into the new University Hospital building and a new educational building at 4301 West Markham in Little Rock. A dormitory with an attached student union was completed in 1959, using federal loans. That same year, Lawrason persuaded Col. T.H. Barton to provide the seed money for a faculty research building, completed in 1961 and named after Col. Barton. After the appointment of Storm Whaley as Vice President for Health Sciences at the medical school in early 1960, Dr. Lawrason resigned as Dean on November 22, 1960.