Harry P. Ward, M.D. (b.1933-d.2008) served as Chancellor of UAMS from 1979 until 2000. The official name of the medical school in Little Rock became the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) in 1980. Dr. Ward led the transformation of UAMS from a small medical school with a charity hospital to a nationally recognized academic health center. Following his retirement as Chancellor in 2000, Dr. Ward served as Chancellor Emeritus until his death in 2008. In his honor, the clinical tower of the University Hospital was named the Harry P. Ward Tower.