Holcombe Hall opened as a residence hall in the academic year 1948-1949 and was named for Jobelle Holcombe. Holcombe was a founder of Chi Omega in 1895 and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1898 from the University of Arkansas (known at that time as Arkansas Industrial University). She taught in the preparatory department of the University of Arkansas from 1902-1903 and again in 1906. In 1907, she became an English instructor and Dean of Women. She remained dean of Women for four years. She continued to teach until 1942 when she was granted status of Professor Emeritus of English. Later she was a librarian at Fayetteville Public Library. In 1947, she was the first woman at the University of Arkansas to receive honorary LL.D. degree.