Buchanan-Droke Hall opened as a residence hall in 1954. The original men’s dormitory Buchanan Hall opened in 1888 and was torn down in 1937 at which time a new Buchanan Hall was approved to be built. The current dormitory was named for John Lee Buchanan and George Wesley Droke. John Lee Buchanan was President of the University of Arkansas from 1894-1902. George Wesley Droke was alumnus in 1880 and 1884, taught in the preparatory department from 1880-1885 and 1887-1891, taught in the mathematics department from 1894-1929, and was Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1915-1925.