Barnhill Arena opened in 1956 to house Athletic Administration and basketball. It was originally called Barnhill Fieldhouse and was named for John Barnhill. John Barnhill came to Arkansas in 1946 as Director of Athletics and head football coach. In 1949, he stepped down as football coach but remained Athletic Director until his retirement in 1970. Barnhill Arena was enlarged in 1978 and then repurposed in 1994 after the opening of Bud Walton Arena.