Julian S. Waterman was an economics professor at the University of Arkansas from 1914-1922. He took time off from teaching to work on a law degree. After receiving his law degree from the University of Chicago, Waterman established the Law School at the U of A in 1924. He served as the first Dean of the Law School from 1926-1943. He also served as Vice President of the U of A from 1937-1943. Waterman Hall was dedicated in 1953 in memory of Julian S. Waterman. Waterman Hall is now a part of the Leflar Law Center.